2/22/09

Thoughts about Oscar

I'm watching the Academy Awards tonight, and I'd like to share my thoughts.

I will not be commenting on who won what, or who I think should've won, or which movies I liked best, or which stars I wish hadn't been announcing.

Instead I will be commenting on a rather different, and slightly different matter: the fact that I have not seen most of the movies being awarded.

Slum dog millionaire: haven't seen it. probably should, it's being given so many awards. all my friends are giving it rave reviews. the problem is, I already know what happens. I know the story, the plot, parts of the beginning, most of the middle, and all of the end. I hate watching movies for the first time if I already know the plot. I can easily watch movies I've seen before and it doesn't bother me that I already know what happens. It only bothers me when it's a "new" movie, at least new for me.

Dark Knight: seen it, loved it. very much worth all the acclaim. heath ledger is amazing, best supporting actor.

Wanted: like it more than many other people. some of my friends called it predictable, but I really was taken a bit by surprise with a few twists. there were some undeniably cliche (sorry I don't know how to do the accent on here) moments.

wall e: wanted to see it. really. but then everyone told me that it was weird, so I didn't go.

kung fu panda: never considered seeing it. I'm not a jack black fan. except for his role in The Holiday. that was good. (that was jack black right? if not then scratch anything about liking jack black).

frost/nixon: kind of wanted to see it, but never got the chance.

the curious case of benjamin button: I don't like this movie. It was not deep, thought-provoking, or moving. it was not worth the time. at all. the story is ridiculous, the actors wore poorly cast and lacked chemistry, and the "special effects" were not really all that special. Im glad it didn't get very many of the oscars it was nominated for. also don't like brad pitt.

doubt: not sure if I want to see this or not. I don't know anyone whose taste in movies I trust who has seen it. the verdict is still out. may watch simply because of meryl streep.

valkyrie: I love this movie. I saw it with my dad and sister. So historically accurate, very moving. Excellent plot, even though you know the eventual outcome. not mentioned at all. possibly not in these oscars?

rachel getting married: not an anne hathaway fan. liked the princess diaries (just the first one) and devil wears prada, but nothing else. and those are rather in spite of her.

the reader: had never heard of it until today. kate winslet is amazing though, best leading actress 2008.

the duchess: I really really really want to see this. Just haven't had the opportunity.

the changeling: too weird for me. won't watch it.

Milk: won lots of things, including best lead actor. have no idea what it's about (something to do with gays) and hadn't heard of it before today. not sure if i want to see it.

So there you have it. What Oscar watches and what Jackie mostly doesn't. Why is it that so many of these I haven't heard of? Am I just not watching the right tv channels to see the commercials for these or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, feel free to give me any comments, concerns, or questions. Love to here 'em. Witty responses get bonus points.