2/21/09

Cantwell Family Story

Apparently my family has some extremely funny stories, so I decided to share one of them with you. Some I actually remember, others have simply been told to me enough times that I know them by heart. This is the story of Jurassic Park, which falls under the latter category.

I was about three years old at the time. My parents had decided that they wanted to go to the drive-in movie theater. It was a double feature that night; the first movie was a mundane romatnic comedy that would be perfectly fine for a three-year-old to see. No problems there at all. Since the first movie started at about 7, they assumed that I would have long since fallen asleep by the start of the second movie, Jurassic Park. Once asleep I am quite a sound sleeper, and my parents used to joke that I could sleep through a bomb going off beneath my crib. My sister is the complete opposite, which is really funny because she tends to be a louder person in general. Anyway, my parents felt quite safe in taking me to see Jurassic Park, resting assured that I would sleep through it. Little did they know. I did not sleep through Jurassic Park. I did not doze off for even one minute. I also apparently enjoyed every minute of it, and contributed to the general amusement of several cars around us. You see, I was rooting for the dinosaurs. Throughout the latter half of the movie, at age three, I was yelling, "Get em' gators, get em'!" I suppose a velociraptor does look a bit like a swamp monster, if you squint. Needless to say my parents learned their lesson.

I never have been able to sleep through a movie.

No longer rooting for the gators from the desk of

Jackie

2 comments:

  1. Then Jurassic Park had a sad ending for you?

    Loved your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, I don't actually remember it, but as I was only three, I'm betting my understanding of the plot was rather limited. In any case, it certainly didn't scar me for life.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, feel free to give me any comments, concerns, or questions. Love to here 'em. Witty responses get bonus points.