2/9/09

SCHC 366Q (Part 2)

I suppose one of the benefits of creating your own class, as a professor, is that there are no real expectations for what you should be giving your students as an assignment. My professor chose to make us his own personal work force, because after all we are free labor.

Our assignment this week is to put up posters for the play he's working on. To be fair, we have been reading and discussing it in class, and generally working with it. Because I don't have a car, I was given the task of putting up the posters at the locations in Five Points. Five Points is within walking distance and is therefore much better for me than the other off-campus locations. It was a ton of walking though.

I was given a list of 20 businesses and 20 posters by a man named Kevin in the theater building. I had never been in the theater building before, by the way. Interesting enough experience. It smells like potpourri in there.


Anyway, I don't spend much time in five points; I could probably count out the number of times I've been there actually. So I really don't know my way around there very well. I just started walking down the streets and I came across most of them pretty readily. A few took me a little longer. Many of them just took the poster from me, but others let me tape it up myself. The ones I taped up will probably stay there until someone replaces it with another one. The others...who knows if they'll ever go up. But I can say I delivered them.


I have four left. Two of the places I couldn't find, one wasn't open, and one had only one worker who refused to talk to me; he didn't really speak english and was insistant that I talk to his manager who wasn't there. I don't think I'm going to try again there. I think I'll just ask another business; almost all the businesses in Five Points have posters all over the place.


The wonderful outcome of this little adventure was really three things. I got to spend time outdoors, and the weather has been divine for three days now. I hope it continues. I also got in quite a bit of walking, which I count as exercise. If it burns a significant amount of calories, it counts as exercise. I walked for around an hour straight. Works for me. Finally, and most importantly, I now know much more about the shops and restaurants in five points. There are some really cute places down there which I will definitely investigate more in the future. Plus, there's a place called College Mart which intrigued me and I really wanted to go in and see what they sold and if they had good prices, but I was really hungry and tired. So I went back to Russell House instead.


Typing tiredly from the desk of


Jackie


PS. I'm stopping this series. Not very fun. Look for the new series!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, feel free to give me any comments, concerns, or questions. Love to here 'em. Witty responses get bonus points.