3/15/09

Wedding Wisdom

Don't worry, I'll post later about basketball. I haven't completely lost my mind.

The first weekend of spring break, my grandparents were staying at our house on their way down to a wedding in Florida. My grandmother chose to utilize this opportunity to give me some wedding wisdom, which I will pass along to you. In a few years we'll probably all be guilty of violating most of these rules.

1.) The photographer should be discreet, out of the way, and inconspicuous. Nothing worse than a wedding ruled by the agenda of the photographer.

2.) There is no reason for ugly bridesmaid dresses. They should look good too, and furthermore, their dresses should be simplified versions of the bride's dress, just in a color of the wedding theme instead of white. And above all else, the dress should be flattering on all the bridesmaids, not just the skinny one.

3.) Children, like the photographer, are not the focus of the wedding, and their parents' should keep them under control.

4.) Everyone should dress up for a wedding, even if it is not a particularly formal event. Personally, I want to have an evening wedding so everyone will be forced to go formal.

5.) The reception shouldn't be too long after the ceremony. Just give people enough time to get over to the reception hall, plus about ten minutes, and you're good. You should also serve food. A full meal is not necessarily required (unless the ceremony/reception is close to a meal) but hors d'oevres are expected.

6.) Outdoor weddings are only nice if they're private, and if there's a plan in case of rain. Having it on a public beach or park is not acceptable. You can't close it off from other people, and even if you could, what's to stop Joe Funloving from throwing a frisbee through the vows?

7.) There is nothing wrong with having a wedding in a church.

8.) Weddings should be on Saturday. Friday weddings are acceptable in specific circumstances, like if you're in the military and you're only on leave until monday. Any other day of the week is just silly.

9.) Asking for money instead of gifts is tacky.

10.) When shopping for the dress, take as few people as possible. Don't take two friends who will fight or kids. The groom should absolutely under no circumstances be there. Myself, I'm just taking my mom, and possibly my mother-in-law as a goodwill gesture. I will not be going with every female member of my family in tow.

So maybe we watch alot of wedding shows on tv, but really this is good stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, feel free to give me any comments, concerns, or questions. Love to here 'em. Witty responses get bonus points.