3/14/09

The Desk at Home

I'm wrapping up my spring break (second to last day) here at home. For those who are wondering, the original plan was that I would go home and then thursday I would go back to columbia, get on a band bus, and play with the pep band at the Men's SEC basketball tournament in Tampa, FL. On wednesday, I found out my band director had been limited to bringing 30 people (which we knew would happen) and he decided to only take the brass (which rumors said could happen). This equates to me spending all of spring break 09 at home. Oh well. It's been relaxing.

This is a blog about my desk at home. I can't actually blog at my desk at home. I never had my own computer before getting my laptop for college. We all use the family computer in the basement. We have a dell that's only a few years old, as well as an old windows 98 that is good for very little. We have a wireless router so that the old computer can get internet access as well. This is how I get internet at home, but the router doesn't cover the second floor, just the main floor and the basement. So I have to come to the main floor with my laptop if I want to go online. My current location is the blue chair (Calbert's favorite nap spot) in the family room. He's giving me evil looks because I also have his favorite green blanket, but as I remind him, they don't actually belong to him anyway.

Upstairs in my room, I have the same desk that I've always had, placed in my room when I was in second grade. My parents pulled it out of the basement, and I've been disappointed with it ever since. Technically speaking, it does go with the rest of my furniture, which is probably why my parents thought nothing of bringing up that desk. The entire furniture set was my dad's when he was a kid. When I was a junior in high school I got to switch rooms with the guest room (it's enormous and Mere can't wait to move in there herself) and so I got to have my parents' old queen sized bed (they upgraded) instead of the old twin. But the rest of my furniture stayed the same.

The desk itself is dark wood, but it's incredibly plain. Four drawers, rather small desk area overall. I've always been able to fill it to the brim with papers and stuff. Storage is not its strongest asset. It's a kid's desk really, and I haven't done homework on it since elementary school. It simply isn't big enough for my books and everything else. Anyway, on top of my desk is a variety of things. A magazine holder with clear plastic sides with a cute circle pattern that holds folders full of old notes, essays, etc, a pink sparkly pencil holder that I've never liked, but never bothered replacing until college, an old brass desk lamp my dad gave me in 2nd grade, a Lisa Frank writing pad with rainbow cats and pianos all over it, which I've also never really liked, a mug a friend gave me that I've never used, a picture of my section from senior year that I love in a beautiful frame that they gave me, a bag of pins that used to be on my letter jacket, a lent devotional I haven't started, a bank statement I need to read, a bunch of surge protectors and converters for my trip to France, one of the handheld phones, and some Purell. Oh and my jacket is thrown over the chair.

And people wonder why I don't use my desk for work...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, feel free to give me any comments, concerns, or questions. Love to here 'em. Witty responses get bonus points.