6/8/09

It's Not Just the Electrical Outlets

France is weird. No really. Not kidding, it is WEIRD here. Like go back to the early nineties weird.

It's june right? Not in France. It feels like september. rainy and cold. Wednesday is supposed to be sunny so I'm going to do some shopping and get myself a scarf and a sweater. Stupid weather.

So electrical outlets aren't the only things that are different here (which by the way I don't understand. Didn't the electricity thing start on our side of the pond?). The locks are different too. Like if you don't lock the door a certain way it's not actually "locked" it's just "closed by key" meaning with the first one the door will not open from one side at all even with a key (this confuses me to no end) and with the second one you can open either side with the key (but not without). Really strange.

Also they don't have dryers here. They hang everything up on racks 40s style. So you can only do laundry when it's sunny. (still can't tell if my host mom is going to do my laundry for me or if I'm doing it myself...) They also have dishwashers but they don't use them. Ever. And they don't have air conditioning either. Like I understand to some extent that they don't really need it like 80% of the year, but really? It gets decently hot here in july and august (which by the way is when kids here have summer vacation). Strange.

Also nothing is open on sundays. I'm not just talking like government buildings and schools. NOTHING is open. A few cafes and the mcdonalds (which they call the MacDoh) and that's it. So no shopping on sundays (very sad).

I just don't understand the french. It's not like we're just not on the same page; it's more like we're in different libraries. I think it's because they drink too much wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, feel free to give me any comments, concerns, or questions. Love to here 'em. Witty responses get bonus points.