7/19/11

Bumming in Bamberg with Becky

I've been waiting to use that title for like 3 months. It just makes me giggle :)

So Friday was my last day in Paderborn...which was really weird. It's hard to say good-bye to people who you've been friends with for a mere two months, compounded by the fact that you're probably never going to see them again. I'll miss everybody in Paderborn, but the whole time I had a strong urge to say, well have a nice life. Maybe I'm just desensitized to goodbyes, I don't know.

The upside to this was getting to see Becky again. Becky and I were roommates sophomore year, and then she decided she was going to spend spring semester in Germany so we weren't roommates last year. Next year we'll be roommates again though. Anyway, I spending a few days with her in Bamberg where she's been studying. Saturday she showed me around town a bit. We went to the Altenburg (the old castle) and the Dom, and the Rose garden. Bamberg is apparently a UNESCO World Heritage site, which means that they have really crappy roads. I like cobblestones but walking around on them all day makes your feet hurt. We also met up with some of her friends here (fellow exchange students) at a beer garden. Which is where I found the one beer-drink I can have without making a face: the Radler, half-beer half-lemonade. The girly drink of Germany.
The Altenburg, as we walked up the hill

The Dom

The door for important people

Sunday it was rainy/cloudy/not terribly nice, so after church (which I did not get much out of but which was very interesting) we hung around her room. That night though I met up with some of Becky's friends from the night before to watch the USA/Japan game (women's soccer world cup). We lost. But it was an interesting experience. Becky had to work on a paper so she did not join us. Monday I did some wandering around. Schloss Seehof (which was not much better than Schloss Neuhaus in Paderborn), a church I had not yet seen, and the park. I got rather turned around in the park, so I was really tired when I got home.
Schloss Seehof

The river. I don't know what it's name is.

The botanical garden

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, feel free to give me any comments, concerns, or questions. Love to here 'em. Witty responses get bonus points.